2016 marks the 10th anniversary of the Biodiversity Heritage Library. We’re kicking off our year-long celebrations with our #BHLat10 campaign this week, 11-15 April 2016. The campaign celebrates BHL’s impact on the global science community, our history and growth, and our collections. Content is being published on our blog, Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, Pinterest, and BHL. Learn more: http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/collection/BHLat10
One of our objectives for the #BHLat10 campaign is to celebrate our collections around our 10th anniversary themes and highlight contributions from our Members and Affiliates. So, we pulled together some “Top 10” lists as well as collections of “top” content from our Members and Affiliates. Explore some highlights below and check out our website for the full content.
|The most-viewed book in BHL. Linné, Carl von. Caroli Linnaei…Systema naturae per regna trip naturae. v. 1 (1758). http://biodiversitylibrary.org/item/10277. Digitized by the Missouri Botanical Garden.|
Top 10 Viewed Books in BHL
- Systema naturae per regna tria naturae, v. 1
- Annales de l’Institut océanographique, v. 6
- Dictionnaire d’histoire naturelle, qui concerne les testacées ou les coquillages de mer, de terre & d’eau-douce, t. 2
- Latreille’s Naturliche Familien des Thierreichs
- Taxonomic literature, v. 1
- Caroli Linnaei … Species plantarum, v. 1
- Das Pflanzenreich :regni vegetablilis conspectus, heft 1
- Nomenclator botanicus, seu, Synonymia plantarum universalis
- Caroli Linnaei … Species plantarum, v. 2
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History), v. 5
|The most-downloaded book in BHL. Bergey, D. H. (David Hendricks). Bergey’s manual of determinative bacteriology. (1957). http://biodiversitylibrary.org/item/41848. Digitized by the MBLWHOI Library.|
Top 10 Downloaded Books in BHL
- Bergey’s manual of determinative bacteriology
- America : being the latest, and most accurate description of the New World
- Insects, their ways and means of living
- On growth and form
- Fish hatchery management
- Plant names, scientific and popular, including in the case of each plant the correct botanical name in accordance with the reformed nomenclature, together with botanical and popular synonyms
- Poultry diseases, causes, symptoms and treatment, with notes on post-mortem examinations
- A text-book of entomology, including the anatomy, physiology, embryology and metamorphoses of insects, for use in agricultural and technical schools and colleges as well as by the working entomologist
- Birds in legend, fable and folklore
- The art of scientific investigation
Member and Affiliate Contribution Highlights
- View the top downloaded book from each of our Members and Affiliates
- Explore our Member and Affiliates’ most viewed albums in Flickr in our BHL at 10 Image Collection (slideshow of the images from these albums below)
- View selections from our Members and Affiliates’ top-viewed Flickr albums in Pinterest
var so = new SWFObject(“http://www.db798.com/pictobrowser.swf”, “PictoBrowser”, “500”, “500”, “8”, “#EEEEEE”); so.addVariable(“source”, “sets”); so.addVariable(“names”, “BHL at 10 (View All)”); so.addVariable(“userName”, “BioDivLibrary”); so.addVariable(“userId”, “61021753@N02”); so.addVariable(“ids”, “72157666033761310”); so.addVariable(“titles”, “on”); so.addVariable(“displayNotes”, “on”); so.addVariable(“thumbAutoHide”, “off”); so.addVariable(“imageSize”, “medium”); so.addVariable(“vAlign”, “mid”); so.addVariable(“vertOffset”, “0”); so.addVariable(“colorHexVar”, “EEEEEE”); so.addVariable(“initialScale”, “off”); so.addVariable(“bgAlpha”, “90”); so.write(“PictoBrowser160331083942”);
We hope you’ll join us in celebrating our 10th anniversary this week and all year long! Follow #BHLat10 on social media to catch all of our great content and tell us how BHL has impacted your work by posting with the hashtag or leaving a comment on this blog.
To help ensure that BHL continues to provide free and open access to biodiversity literature for decades to come, we’ve launched a CafePress store with products celebrating our 10th anniversary and featuring images from our collection. We’ve launched the store with a small selection of images from BHL, but we’ll be expanding this selection in the future as we continue to develop our store. 100% of the proceeds that BHL receives from the sale of these products will be used to digitize more books for BHL. Check out the store today!
And if merchandise isn’t your thing, but you want to help support BHL’s future, consider making a tax-deductible gift to help us continue to support science and research around the world.
Finally, don’t forget to sign our birthday card and tell us what BHL means to you!
Happy Birthday, BHL!