On March 8-9, 2011, the Biodiversity Heritage Library (BHL) Institutional Council met at Smithsonian Institution Libraries in Washington, D.C.
The annual meeting is held to cover issues related to governance of the BHL, prioritization of the work of the technical development team, and discussion of the ongoing sustainability going forward of the BHL.
The BHL Institutional Council is composed of the directors, or their designates, from each of the twelve member libraries.
- Academy of Natural Sciences Library (Catherine Wilt)
- American Museum of Natural History Library (Tom Baione)
- California Academy of Sciences Library (Jean Farrington)
- The Field Museum Library (Christine Giannoni)
- Harvard University Botany Libraries (Judy Warnement)
- Harvard University, Ernst Mayr Library of the Museum of Comparative Zoology (Constance Rinaldo)
- Marine Biological Laboratory/Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (Cathy Norton)
- Missouri Botanical Garden Library (Doug Holland
- Natural History Museum Library, London (Graham Higley)
- The New York Botanical Garden, The LuEsther T. Mertz Library (Susan Fraser)
- Royal Botanical Gardens, Kew, Libraries and Archives (Christopher Mills)
- Smithsonian Institution Libraries (Nancy Gwinn)
BHL Program Director Tom Garnett led the meetings. Also attending were BHL Technical Director Chris Freeland (Missouri Botanical Garden), Deputy Program Director Martin Kalfatovic (Smithsonian Institution Libraries), and BHL Collections Coordinator Bianca Crowley.
Recently appointed Encyclopedia of Life (EOL) Director Erick Mata, also attended the meeting and gave an overview presentation on the work of EOL and its relationship to the BHL.